Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Mortal Kombat franchise review


As a kid I was a strong fan of the classic MK video games. I was first introduced to it in the mid 90s at a friends house before I was bought my own Sega MD2. I enjoyed all three games and even the ultimate MK 3.

Then by the mid 90s, the movie was released. I loved it at first but after buying my own copy and watching it several times, I realize it's great but not worth buying. Anyone who liked it can always rent it, but I don't recommend purchasing it.

The cartoon The Journey Begins was actually good in terms of animation coloring and background story including the excellent 3D graphics for character's background scenes, but the battle scenes were lame and so was the plot-line of the cartoon. It just ends with the main characters in battle.

The second Mortal Kombat film came out in Pakistan in 1998. I remember renting it during my summer holidays in 1998. Despite it's negative reviews, I would put it on the same rating as the first movie.

While it had it's share of poor quality it also took place in various places instead of just a set of battles on one island.

I liked the second movie, but again don't recommend owning it. It's just one of those movies you'd want to watch a few times in a lifetime.

The Mortal Kombat trilogy was nothing new in experience other than the original first games put together with some extra difficulties and unlockables. But still a great game nevertheless.

The fourth installment in the MK game in the series was just amazing. For the first time introducing 3D graphics and high quality coloring as well as most of the classic characters brought back in a new and reformed mode.

The game is great with it's new enhancements and unlockables. I also love how they brought back Goro the classic villain. He was the best villain. Putting Motaro in his place as boss was poor creativity in my opinion.

I also loved the unlockable videos in the ending. I can confidently state that I like Mortal Kombat 4 the best game in the series to this day. A simple collection of characters and yet at the same time great features. Nothing fancy like the MK games of today.

Best of all I liked Mortal Kombat: Defenders of the Realm and it did leave a small imprint in my mind. I watched the series at age 13 along with my other friends who were also strong fans of the franchise at that time.

The show had more than just senseless fighting and amazing storylines fitted together with character development. It's a pity the show didn't continue after the first season. The cartoon has to be the best part of the MK franchise for me.

Mortal Kombat:Conquest was a good TV show with much live action, but I overall didn't pay much attention to it. The show simply has an emptiness to it. None of our favorite characters were in it. And those that were had weird moves and dialogue such as that between Scorpion and Sub-Zero.

The show was not very enjoyable. It never made it beyond a first season anyway.

Today I have little interest in the Mk games. As a young man in my mid 20s I find the games to be boring. Not that they weren't fun for their time, but I'm not much of a video-gamer anymore. The only games I ever do play are challenging ones that require you to think such as Resident Evil. There are other challenging games that I like such as Hitman or Big Game Hunter, but still don't play them much.

My review of Mortal Kombat is about the franchise as a whole. I think the cartoon series ware great and we can look forward to movie reboots. But the games are no longer tasty or interesting unless we see other forms of gaming other than the senseless fighting.

No comments:

Post a Comment