Wednesday, December 28, 2011

The current Goldeneye remake and how I would have done it


Thank goodness for websites like YouTube where fans can view products before being tricked into buying them. The terrible Goldeneye remake just happened to be one of the few games that I was temped to buy.

I'm not into video games much and rarely play them save for long holidays. But the 007 game Goldeneye on Nintendo 64 was just one of those rare games that really had me addicted. It wasn't just me. The game became known as a classic amongst fans. Even people like me who weren't much into videos games had the same feelings for the game's amazing features.

The original had reasonable graphics, game play settings, difficulties and a whole set of missions for us to enjoy. It was one of those few games that was more than senseless button pushing. It had proper challenges, an intimidating atmosphere in the missions that gave the player a proper sense of realism and tension.

The other James Bond games on various counsels took away all that and the remake does no better. After viewing the silly remake on YouTube, I knew better than to waste my precious money on such a terrible job. The game is awfully loaded with "tips" and dialogue throughout most of the missions that irritate you and don't allow you to play with full comfort and concentration.

I notice regular video gamers always rant about graphics and that's all that matters. Agreed that a decent game must have decent graphics but this awful Goldeneye remake doesn't seem to have any improved graphics except for the characters ability to move their mouths and speak during cut scenes.

By no ways is this game recommendable to fans of the original version by me. Let me give a better example of this game's utter failure to match the excitement of the original. In the original we had levels like the statue park or the jungle with a night atmosphere and stealthy enemies that were difficult to detect. In the remake you have the jungle in full daylight.

In the statue park level you've lost the great soundtrack of tension. All that has been reduced to running around and meeting your enemies with dialogue that sounds like it was memorized by the characters.

How would I have done the game to make it more enjoyable? Simple. I wouldn't have taken anything away from the original game. Perhaps it was necessary to substitute Pierce Bronson's voice with Daniel Craig's, but that's not really taking away from the game play.

I would have kept the layout of the levels the same. I would have enhanced the dialogue of the characters from subtitles to actual cut scenes and perhaps improved the graphics by a slight bit. And to add to the fun I might have reformatted the layout of the missions just as Capcom did in the Resident Evil remake of the original cut.

That's how you do a proper remake. If fans wish to re-experience their favorite N64 Goldeneye, I recommend them to download Goldeneye: Source. I haven't played it yet, but after viewing the game play on YouTube, I can state it definitely is the closest thing to the original Goldeneye. I even viewed the clips of Goldeneye on Nintendo DS. I wasn't even aware of there being a DS version. After viewing it, I can also state it's much closer to the original Goldeneye than this terrible remake.

But in the end fans need to realize and accept that remakes are not really aimed at thrilling fans of an original version of a franchise. Remakes are usually aimed at attracting a new generation to enjoy the new version of that franchise and that's what the Goldeneye remake is all about.

No comments:

Post a Comment